Great time at the Flying Pig Marathon
• Start line – with flames on top of truss!
• Total runners for the weekend – 43,000 whoa!
• Iris Simpson Bush and Jackie Reau were great hosts as always!
• Finish line break tape had the word “WINNER” on it – never saw that before!
• Portable restrooms were located INSIDE the corrals at the start – different.
• Spoke twice at the runner’s expo.
• Ran the mile, 5K and 10K…all fun events. An 11-year-old girl actually won the 10k overall for women!
• Lot of party goers and beer (not me)!
• Did some WLWT TV commentary at the finish line today for the half marathon and marathon. The winners of the half both did Boston three weeks ago.
• Great branding everywhere all weekend long.
Also, went to the Great American Ball Park to meet up with Marlins staff (Miami Marlins ironically were in town to play the Reds) John Silverman and Mike Hill who both did the World Marathon Challenge with me! They introduced me to Marlins Manager Don Mattingly who I will always remember for his playing days with the Yankees. Very nice guy. Also saw a friend of mine when I was growing up in Medford, MA – he is now the hitting coach of the Marlins – Mike Pagliarulo. Wow, we go way back and his uncle, Jack Dempsey, was my partner in my running store in Medford. I also went out to the field to view the warning track as it looks pretty good that we might be able to conduct a marathon inside that stadium, too, sometime soon. And, it only costs $10 for “ballgame parking”!
Great productive trip!