With all due respect to everything involved in creating a new road race, the course and the management of the course is arguably the most important aspect of your event.
I am a 21-year-old female runner, and I have completed two half-marathons and two full marathons. I am a PR-seeker and eventually would like to qualify for the Boston Marathon. One of my biggest problems with achieving a PR during a race has to do with discrepancies between my GPS watch and the race-course measurements.
General Characteristics Needed
- Visualization - being able to visualize every aspect of an event before it happens
- Calm and quick thinking under pressure; patience
- Don't be intimidated by the challenge
- You need to be exceptionally well organized; being prepared; labor intensive; don't leave to race day
- Charisma and leadership qualities and ability to surround yourself with hard working, dependable and experienced people; trust (to a point), always follow up
- Great to be involved in a sport where you make people feel good about themselves